20070501

Daily Photo theme day: city exchange


The theme this month is "City Exchange". There is some disagreement in the community as to what this means. Some are of the opinion that it should be a local photo that makes the visitor think that they're at the wrong place. Others opine that it should be photo taken in a place other than "home". Since I regularly post photos from places other than Villigen, I thought it would be more interesting to go with the first group and post a photo from Villigen. I decided to do a B&W shot, to emphasize the feeling of disorientation. For the rest of the week, I might post photos from places around Switzerland other than Villigen.

I've shown other foreign sights around Villigen before. Here are links to them:
Americana: Route 66 (20070207)
Anglophilia: Red telephone box as garden ornament (20070223)

City exchange around the world:
Monte Carlo, Monaco | Rome, Italy | Singapore, Singapore | Tenerife, Spain | Rotterdam, Netherlands | London, UK | Montréal (QC), Canada | Melbourne, Australia | Naples (FL), USA | Bastia, France | Hong Kong, China | Mazatlan, Mexico | Buenos Aeres, Argentina | Manila, Philippines | Arradon, France | Madison (WI), USA | Evry, France | Seoul, Korea | Shanghai, China | Bucaramanga (Santander), Colombia | Sequim (WA), USA | Singapore, Singapore | Budapest, Hungary | Baziège, France | Hamburg, Germany | Toruń, Poland | Nelson, New Zealand | Madison (WI), USA | Vantaa, Finland | Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia | Mainz, Germany | Dubai, UAE | Saint Paul (MN), USA | Cork, Ireland | Stockholm, Sweden | Menton, France | Tel Aviv, Israel | Albuquerque (NM), USA | Kitakami, Japan | Stayton (OR), USA | Szentes, Hungary | Stavanger, Norway | Grenoble, France | Villigen, Switzerland | Paris, France | Hyde, UK | Moscow, Russia | Joplin (MO), USA | Jakarta, Indonesia | Greenville (SC), USA | Cape Town, South Africa | Asheville (NC), USA | Seattle (WA), USA | Kyoto, Japan | Tokyo, Japan | Madrid, Spain | Auckland, New Zealand | Oulu, Finland | Lubbock (TX), USA | Tuzla, Bosnia and Herzegovina | Baton Rouge (LA), USA | Sydney, Australia | Maple Ridge (BC), Canada | Vancouver, Canada | Seattle (WA), USA | Selma (AL), USA | Chandler (AZ), USA | Sharon (CT), USA | Manila, Philippines | Lyon, France | New York City (NY), USA | Los Angeles (CA), USA | Brookville (OH), USA | Hayle, UK | Wailea (HI), USA | Saarbrücken, Germany | San Diego (CA), USA | Boston (MA), USA | Saint Louis (MO), USA | Cypress (TX), USA | Anderson (SC), USA | Torino, Italy

20070428

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my, what a message!
I wonder who lives there?

Unless it's second degree humour, I don't think I would want to meet them!

Gerald (SK14) said...

such fun we are having today -- I'm gonna have to put the kettle on before I go any further!

alice said...

Nice find! Gerald, my cup of tea is just on my right! But i have to stop my world tour for a moment, my son needs the computer!

edwin s said...

no no, I wouldn't want to mess with Texas (or Texans!)

Ben Nakagawa said...

Yes, it's clean shot!

Anonymous said...

Nice shot. A clean shot.

My Theme Day portrait is of the "Peashooter" and the National Museum of the United States Air Force. Hope you like flying.

isa said...

Well, Bush is from Texas - we should be scared! ;-)

Dsole said...

Funny and clever post!
I really like your B/W here

Victoria said...

How odd! I wonder if the person who owns the box is being ironic, or if they are a native Texan? Either way it is certainly unexpected!

Ming the Merciless said...

Aaaghhhh!! That is sooo funny! Only a Texan is bold enough to stick that on a mail box in Switzerland. :-)

Fabulous photo.

Jilly said...

That's a hoot. What do the locals think of it?

kuanyin333 said...

I like what you write here, and how you came up with your solution! Happy Theme Day from Maui! Come over and guess mine!

Kate said...

Absolutely hilarious. I just added several sentences that I wisely deleted--all related to Texas. Your photo is one of the best today!!

Z said...

Thank you all for stopping by and leaving notes. That was fun and interesting, to see the different things DPers put up for the others to see. The house this mailbox belongs to it at the end of a small street so there aren't many passers-by who would gawk at it. I think the sticker is supposed to be humorous rather than meant to be taken seriously. At least, I hope so! :-)

~tanty~ said...

I really like this B&W shot. Simply lovely.

Lavenderlady said...

Well you made me laugh. I also liked your links to previous posts. Nice job!