20070426

Restaurant zum Hirschen


Back in January I wrote about how much I like this restaurant and my opinion hasn't changed since then. Their food is still great, and their Dessertteller wonderful. Occasionally we go just for the dessert. One can do such things here in Switzerland, go to a restaurant and have something small to eat or drink, or just dessert and coffee. Of course, we ask the host/hostess when we enter as to whether that's okay. Many places are happy to oblige. (Addendum: the original photo I posted this morning was a bit crooked so I straighted it as best as I could and reposted).

Hirschen is not just a restaurant, it's an inn with rooms that can be rented by the month as well as on a daily basis. I think a good deal of their business comes from people who come to Villigen to do experiments or maybe even have proton therapy for eye tumors and such (things like macular degeneration) at the Paul Scherrer Institut (PSI) nearby.

Previous post about Hirschen: zum Hirschen (20070126)
Posts related to the PSI: The SLS building (20070128)
The Aare from the PSI bridge (20070203)
SINQ (20070204)
These boots were made for ... (20070205)

And if you've read this far, I think you should get a sample of what their Dessertteller, winter-version, looked like. Unfortunately, not the best photo, but the best one I have at this time.


20070425

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yippee, I'm first to post. Nice commentary z. First, I didn't know all that stuff about Villigen. Second, I find service mentality in Switzerland is very good, like your example. You rarely get the feeling that you're spoiling the staff's day by coming in the door. I suppose centuries of making a living out of welcoming guests to the country has something to do with it

TORUŃ DAILY PHOTO said...

Yum yum! All these pictures of restaurants are making me REALLY hungry! Probably, because I haven't had my breakfast yet!! Hee hee!!

Anonymous said...

It is a beautiful building and the color is so restful on my eyes. If the food is as good as you suggest then I would like to go there too. It was pouring rain yesterday and I took some photos through the windscreen. You might be interested.

Abraham Lincoln
Brookville Daily Photo

stromsjo said...

What could possibly be more important than dessert!? Come to think of it, I didn't get any tonight. And I'm supposed to be on vacation! I'll go get some. Thanks for reminding me! ;)

Deb said...

looks like a charming place, and those desserts look wonderful! I'll be at Patrick's tomorrow for lunch and will think of you guys!

Ming the Merciless said...

Yummy! I see slices of pears, whipped cream and ice-cream? Or are they bon-bon?

Z said...

Yes pear, kiwi (upper-ish right corner) and peach (upper left). Sorbets: I think the light one was apricot and the dark one cherry or something? The two brown spheres are chocolate mousse. Upper right, there's an almond-shell with something like trifle or tiramisu inside.

Meg said...

Oh, yeah, tempt us!!!