20070721

Damsons for sale


Do you know what damsons are? They're a type of plum (Prunus institia, Wikipedia entry here), usually used to make jams, rather than eat out of hand, because of the acidic skin. The Swiss-German name is one of the words I find unpronouncable: die Zwetschge (die Zwetsche in German). A little background on the fruit from the Oxford Companion to Food:

The damson had been known in W. Europe since prehistoric times (remains have been found, for example, in excavations of prehistoric Swiss lake dwellings), but was also growing in the Near East. It received its name because it was from Damascus, in Syria, that this damson reached Italy in times BC.

Update Another variety of plum appeared at the stand today: Reineclaude aka greengage. Picture and text at my overflow site:
Greengages for sale

Since there has been some interest, here's a link for US residents to information about growing damsons. They're suitable for USDA zones 5-7:
Plum, Damson at the National Arbor Day Foundation

Previously photographed at this produce stand:
Cherries for sale
The strawberry stand and the green car

20070720

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

And what do they taste like? I wish I knew if we had them here.

Kate said...

I'd like to try them, and I wonder if I've ever had them. Good historical info.

claude said...

You know your subject about plums !With those ones I think we can cook pies too.

Lavenderlady said...

They look wonderful! I would love to make jam with these.

lv2scpbk said...

I came back to read more about your plums. Interesting.

Janet said...

We used to have a plum tree and made our own plum jelly, but I've never heard of damsons. Interesting background.

Neva said...

I'll bet they are delicious in a jam.

Z said...

I haven't had the jam very often. It's not widely commercially available as far as I know -- I think one has to know someone who makes it! The cafes and shops have Zwetschgen pies and other confections right now. Summer can be such a glorious time.

Maxnix said...

Please tell us about the liqueur made from them, the corollary of cherries and kirsch. I think it's called zchwetchgen, as well, or something like that

Z said...

Maxnix: Sorry, but I don't know anything about the liqueur.

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

they look luscious....my husband's a huge fan of plums..he'd love this pic :)