20070220

Sleeping baby at the Fasnachtsumzug (VII)


Yesterday I mentioned seeing sleeping babies at the parade and upon looking through my photos I found a couple with examples such as this one. I imagine the child is used to the music because s/he has been hearing it at band practice since before birth.

If you look straight up from the baby, you'll notice stairs going up. That's one of the paths to the ruins of Schloss Stein I wrote about in Sunday's post.

The specialty of Swiss Fasnachts is Guggenmusik. There are now bands playing such music even in the UK! The repertoire usually draws from popular music (from the US and UK, mostly) though the renditions are deliberately off-key. This group here is the Bloser Clique Baden and their theme is Aprés Ski Club Baldegg.

I've uploaded the Villigen (Kumetbach Sürpfler) clip (26 seconds) and it can be viewed via the whatsit below. They're supposed to be dressed as the horrors from the North, Schrecken des Norden. We were positioned at a location just downstream of the judges' stand so each group ended up taking a short break near us, causing some discontinuity in their performances.




20070218 modified

7 comments:

JaamZIN said...

the guys on the photo look like LEGO:) thanks for the video..seems very amazing

Z said...

You're right! Those helmets, maybe.

I particularly like the make-up to simulate the sunburn/tan and the unburned area around where the goggles would be.

I have other clips as well, but I'm waiting until I have enough time to put them all together and trim them a bit. Would others like to see it once it's done?

freelancer said...

funny guys ! :)

angela said...

I'm guessing that baby must surely have earplugs in.
Thanks for the video clip. It would be interesting to see more.
Angela

Z said...

freelancer: hello!

angela: hi, to you too. I don't know that they'd put earplugs on a child so small. Seems a little dangerous. But, the possibility of going deaf through Guggenmusik, that's quite acceptable. :-)

Maybe I should keep a list of people who express interest in more footage, to let them know when I get the trimming and collating done.

Ming the Merciless said...

Thanks for the fabulous mini-movie. I love the music they were playing. Sounded very very festive.

Wish I were there for the celebration.

Z said...

ming: it was a good show for me. Apparently, not as elaborate a show as in some traditionally Catholic regions of Switzerland but I can't comment on that as I haven't been to any of those.