20080703

Wildflower 13: Brown knapweed


Flora: Brown knapweed (IMHO rather a dull name for such a pretty flower). Centaurea jacea. Wiesen-Flockenblume. Looks like I incorrectly identified it as cornflower last year.

Fauna: Marbled white. Melanargia galathea. Damenbrett or Schachbrettfalter.

A week ago when I posted a photo of a small blue, Tash of Palos Verdes DP made the observation that butterflies are difficult to photograph with their wings spread out. I had never thought about this as I had never tried to photograph butterflies with any dedication so I decided to give it a shot. I now completely agree with her!

And finally, those of you who have an interest in old botanical drawings might like this. The following book has been scanned and is available through the Max Planck Institute for Plant Breeding Research: Flora von Deutschland Österreich und der Schweiz (1885)

20080701

3 comments:

ptowngirl said...

I like the flower, but the butterfly is a beautiful added touch! BTW, I think you're right about this being in the same family as the one on my NorfolkDailyPhoto blog. The name for mine is Centaurea Montana -- Asteraceae, part of the Aster family. Thanks for the scanned reference as well -- good stuff. Thanks again for visiting!

Kris McCracken said...

You really do manage to capture some great colour in your shots. Marvellous work!

Tash said...

Z - I did see the butterfly, but missed your comment. I'm so glad that you had success with another beautiful butterfly photo & that you steered me to the comment. :)