20070914

Sheep in the Besserstein vineyards


This photo was obviously taken in the winter, in January to be precise. Just a few minutes (uphill) walk from these vineyards would get you to the woods from yesterday.

People's party becomes political black sheep
Abuses, conspiracies - and black sheep - have all featured in a controversial election campaign by the rightwing Swiss People’s Party. September 10, 2007

A couple of days ago, I mentioned the strained relationship between the rightwing SVP and the three other political parties that make up the Cabinet. While there are several issues on which the SVP has provocative or dubious ideas, the one that always makes the headlines here and abroad is that of immigration. For the past decade, they've run ads that are gratuitously racist and fear-inducing. This campaign season is no different and the poster that has shown up everywhere depicts three white sheep standing on the Swiss flag, while one of them kicks a black sheep away. The title is Sicherheit schaffen (establish security) and the law that the SVP wants to get into the books is one where a person convicted of felony (murder, rape, drug trafficking, human trafficking, burglary or fraud related to the receipt of social benefits) would be deported to his or her country of origin after they serve his/her prison term (the native-Swiss felons get to stay here). They would also be banned from re-entering Switzerland for 5 to 15 years. How this proposal differs from what's currently on the books I don't know yet.

I must admit that at first, I didn't read anything beyond the black sheep in the family allusion, but upon further reading, in the context of the basic ideals of the party and in the combination with their previous campaigns, I must conclude that the image was deliberately chosen to foster fear and suspicion of foreigners. I'm a little slow on the uptake, unlike some other local bloggers (Rashunda Tramble, This non-American Life).

A lot of statements are being made criticizing the SVP and their methods. The Swiss President Micheline Calmy-Rey (member of the center-right SDP) had the following to say:

I think it is important that there are people in this country who have the courage to stand up and denounce this type of campaign, which to be quite frank disgusts me. It disgusts me because it stirs up hatred. They are racist campaigns.
Source: People's Party accused of "racist" campaign
Switzerland's biggest political party, the rightwing Swiss People's Party, has come under renewed fire for its hard-hitting election campaign attacking foreigners. August 30, 2007

I had hoped to scan through many different sources for information for these posts, but the fact is that I can't manage it in the time I'm able or willing to spend on the topic, especially given how slow my German reading and comprehension are. As a result, you will notice that I almost always reference swissinfo. If you, as a reader, have other links to information that you think could be interesting, please drop a line in the comments.

Other related content at swissinfo (excerpts chosen by me):

- Urban violence and youth crime on the increase
According to the (Bern) university hospital's study, those who get caught up in the fights are not primarily outsiders, the unemployed or asylum-seekers. Sixty per cent are Swiss, and the typical person in fights is 25 and has an education and a job. February 9, 2007

- Politicians "exaggerate" youth crime problem
Young people, especially foreigners, are being misused by politicians trying to score points in election year, a child psychologist tells swissinfo. February 17, 2007

- Parties prepare to dig deep
Switzerland's four main political parties will spend more than SFr1 million ($820,000) each on October's federal elections. April 9, 2007

- Three out of four Swiss prisoners are foreign
Around 70 per cent of prisoners in Switzerland are not Swiss but not because foreigners commit more crimes according to a recent study. June 30, 2006

20070121

8 comments:

Neva said...

I am against any campaign any where that stirs up hatred and racism...as if the world isn't volatile enough.....I like the picture of the sheep...

jphsd said...

My wicked thought was, does the sheep poop make the wine taste any different?

Fénix - Bostonscapes said...

Won't comment on the political stuff because politics make my blood boil so...

Lovely sheep, can't see clearly what those blue things are, I'm thinking some kind of netting?

About the comment you left on my blog, you are right! It's a fire escape and it never crossed my mind that those planters shouldn't be there. Wow.

Anonymous said...

"3 out of 4..." I have a story to relate regarding this. A friend of mine (auslander) is a manager in a big Swiss company. As part of the management training he and several others did a stint of work in he community. They would choose an institution to go and work in for a few weeks. After this they would get together and tell each other about their experience. My friend chose a mental asylum. At the debriefing, the person before him, a Swiss manager, related his experience of working in a prison, finishing by saying "I'm happy to report that 3 out of 4 of the inmates are not Swiss". My friend then stood up and talked about the mental asylum, finishing up with " And I'm pleased to say.." well you can guess the rest.

Anonymous said...

NB I like the "white sheep of the family" photo

Chuckeroon said...

Oh, dear. Tks for the alert. You might appreciate my up-coming "Southall" series.

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

i quite like the way you brought in the black sheep pic with your take on the issue....:)

Z said...

Thanks for your comments, all!

JPH: That could make for an interesting description of the taste.

Fénix: The blue stuff is indeed netting.

Richard: Good one! As for the photo, I'd been sitting on it since January and was looking for an opportunity to sneak it in.

'roon: I'll be sure to check it out.

Moi: :-)