20070731

Two brown eggs


I'm gearing up for the August 1 theme day (typical breakfast) though whether these eggs will feature tomorrow is still unclear. I bought them at the village shop (I'm working on a photo of the shop to show). I'm not sure they're from Villigen, but they're from the area according to the sign.

Eggs are graded by mass. The ones I usually buy at the supermarket are 63 g+ (about 2.2 oz), but these pictured here are smaller, about 50 g. They're also usually marked with the laid-on date, the Legedatum in German, so that the consumer can be sure the eggs are alright to use. If the eggs aren't refrigerated, as is the case in most supermarkets I've been to in Switzerland, they're good for upto 20 days from the time they're laid. If they're refrigerated, the window expands to 30 days. I've uploaded a photo of a carton of eggs from my regular supermarket at my overflow site. There you can also see the date stamp on the eggs.
White eggs and blue carton

20070730 Nikon Coolpix 950

5 comments:

claude said...

I buy eggs in an Aldi market. They are big. The shell is brown and the yellow very yellow. I'll think about you tomorrow for the "special breaksfast" day when I have mine that will be always the same.

Gerald (Ackworth born) said...

we get our eggs delivered by the milkman -- they probably cost more than the ones in the supermarket or in town, but at least they won't get broken on the way home.

They come from a farm in the Hope Valley, Derbyshire. They are not labelled free-range so probably aren't.

Lavenderlady said...

Now this is a very interesting picture...and I had no idea you could leave eggs out. They have always just come home and right in the frig.

PS. I did visit Zurich in the early 80's. A lovely city, but my favorite was a small town in the mountains. I will have to check my journal. The name is gone from my mind.

Denton said...

We treat ourselves to real eggs every so often however most of the time we eat "eggbeaters" which are basically the egg whites with some yellow coloring. My mother-in-law used to say that eggbeaters were not real eggs.

Anonymous said...

I have to admit I've sometimes eaten eggs that are several weeks past their sell by date, to no ill-effect (so far, touch wood)
Actually, I don't want to sound anal, but I once weighed the six eggs out of one of those "63g+" boxes and the combined weight was 352g. I was going to take them back to co-op, but my permit was due for renewal...