20070504

Excursion: Scuol in Graubünden


Allegra! as they say in Graubünden. Kanton Graubünden is home to some of the best known Swiss ski resorts. St Moritz, Davos and Klosters are all located in this beautiful place, as well as the home of Heidi in the eponymous tale. The canton website (there's a "choose language" with English as an option) does a nice job of talking about all the sites and interesting things to do there so it's worth a look if you're interested. There's just so much to say, but I'll just mention that the local language is Romansh, which is unique to Graubünden. I chose this photo I took in a town called Scuol because it shows lettering on the wall. This type of ornamentation, designs and lettering carved out of the stucco-like facing, is typical of the canton. Based on the online Romansh dictionary available here, I think that the inscription says something like (literally) "we fall over without the will of God" (Google map showing Scuol).

20060810 Canon Powershot S410

6 comments:

Kate said...

There are some other interesting elements in the photo as well: the wood door, plants on the window sill and plants on the floor as well as the door frame. Nice scene.

Z said...

Kate, I agree with you and am glad you mentioned them! I try to keep my write-ups short and have to decide what to highlight in these non-Villigen posts. Here, I wanted to focus on the language.

stromsjo said...

A local language. Imagine that. Not the most practical souvenir but certainly something unique to experience.

kuanyin333 said...

Love this photo!

ohle said...

...love it too

Anonymous said...

I liked the composition. A simple and interesting image.
Saludos, Mariana C.