20070505

Excursion: Blausee in the Bernese Oberland


The small Blausee (the English version of the website is a bit dodgy at the time I write this) is an interesting and quite beautiful place in the Bernese Oberland. This photo doesn't do justice to what it really looks like and I couldn't get the color of the water right, at least as far as it appears on my screen (Google map, notice the color of the lake in the hybrid, that's not right either).

There's a nature park incorporating the pond, with a restaurant, a hotel and an information center. We stopped there for lunch just as they were opening for the season earlier this year. It might interest some of you to know that the restaurant carries 14 Gault Millau points. I can't speak to that, but I can say that our dishes were very good. If you look near the bottom of the photo, you'll see fish in the water. They raise "organic" (Bio is the term used in Switzerland) trout for distribution all over the country.

Addendum: For a photo of the interior of the restaurant, go to the appendix to this blog that I'm going to try to maintain for the extras. Villigen overflow. As always, comments and suggestions are welcome.

20070325

13 comments:

Gerald (SK14) said...

I got carried away following the roads on google's satellite and saw a number of lakes in different shades of blue - fascinating!

Ming the Merciless said...

That is a breathtaking photo. The color is absolutely amazing.

At first, I thought it was a natural hot spring. But there is a fish in it.

Anonymous said...

Your landscapes over there are so grand and same time beautiful, it`s shame, that a day lasts only 24 hours, it`s not enough to see all wonderful photos from this kind of places like yours is and all blog, what I want to see.
Have a sunny, happy weekend!

Chuckeroon said...

I never saw the Blausee on my long ago "total tour of S". Wonder how I missed it?

BTW "you can't make love on a motorcycle, Michael, like you can in an automobile" Now you know...."Huh!?" indeed!!!!

Z said...

'roon: "total" tour? I'm curious as to what was on there.

While I'm entralled by the Blausee, it is marginal for most people and certainly wouldn't show up on the top 100 list of the "must-sees" in CH. I try to highlight the "less likely to have been seen things" on my blog, I mean, who wants to see yet another photo of the Matterhorn? *Grin* For someone else's review (one definitely NOT as positive as mine) go here:
http://tinyurl.com/24f3me

Anonymous said...

You have made a marvelous photograph that is crystal clear to the bottom of the pond of water. I enjoyed reading your narrative too. Also thank you for your visits to my blog.

Peter said...

Even if you personally are not quite satisifed with the colours, we - and you - must admit that it is amazing and really beuatilful!

Sally said...

Looks like tropical water!

Steve Buser said...

The color is totally fascinating. Since you couldn't get the color right, I am now beyond mere fascination --curious to experience for myself that color which can not be captured in a lens.

ohle said...

...it is a beautiful picture.
How far out can the color be....

Z said...

Mr. Lincoln, thank you for your kind comment.

Peter and Steve, I hasten to add that it is my attempt at capturing the scene as I saw it that day that I'm unhappy with. Other photographers with more skill and experience would probably do better. Leaving that all aside, what's fascinating for me is the combination of the clarity and the color. Like a crystal. The "lakes" formed by the dams here also have peculiar colors, but those look essentially opaque. I'm looking to go back sometime in the summer, when we go to Valais again as it's on our way if we go through the mountains via Kandersteg.

Sally: yes, and the combination with the snow on the banks makes it all the more weird, doesn't it?

Unknown said...

ooo.. i would like to try the trout that is being served there.

isa said...

Your excursion photos are stunning!
There is so much beauty in this world...and so little time!