20070226

Lauffohr: confluence of the Aare and the Reuss


Here's another photo from a different part of the Wasserschloss region. The Aare flows in from the right, while the Reuss comes down from the left. It would be better to have a panorama of this region but I didn't have a tripod with me at the time.

If you look closely in the left half of the photo you'll notice what looks like a factory. That belongs to ABB (Asea Brown Boveri), a company that is a "global leader in power and automation technologies". Brown Boveri was established in Baden in 1891 and was the first company to transmit high voltage AC power. That's a simplified statement of the complicated history, a little of which can be read at this IEEE site. Asea dates back to 1883, started in Stockholm, Sweden. The two merged in 1988.

20070209

4 comments:

~tanty~ said...

Lovely blue sky! Nice photo.

Anonymous said...

I wish I could see the buildings. They only show up as a shadow on my Mac computer. It looks like it would be interesting.

Z said...

Tanty: I'm glad you like it!

AL: Thanks for coming by! Since you've requested it, I'll get some photos. I'm not sure they'll be very interesting, but on a nice clear day (which today is NOT) I might be able to get a decent shot from a different location. There are other ABB (and other companies like Alstom and NOK) buildings around this area, they're bound to show up on this blog at some point.

stromsjo said...

>started in Stockholm, Sweden

Yeah, in those days we weren't busy blogging... ;)