20180617

2018 week 24: Worker safety



If you look at the larger version of the photo, I hope you'll be able to make out the two men doing maintenance work on the roof near the green-roofed red cupola. 

This photo is actually from a few weeks ago, taken in Zürich. When I was taking the photo I was thinking about worker safety. 

Just recently, the Swiss National Accident Insurance Fund (SUVA -- Wiki entry) ruled that from 2019, construction workers and others who work outdoors in the sun will be required to wear sun protection. Actually, if I undersand it correctly, they've decreed that the employers have to enforce that their workers use sun protection (which the employers must also provide). I'm curious to see how that will work out.

Some numbers, according to SUVA: Every day in Switzerland, three people are diagnosed with basal cell carcinoma directly attributable to their occupational activity. As such, the treatments for these cases are paid for by SUVA.

No comments: