20080712

Excursion: Bundesplatz in Bern


Enjoying the fountains at the Swiss parliament square (Bundesplatz) in Bern.

The building in the back is the parliament building and it has recently had all its renovation-related scaffolding removed. The square with the 26 fountains representing the 26 Swiss cantons is a big hit with children (and dogs) in the summer. In case you were wondering, the water is collected in an underground tank where it is cleaned before being recirculated (source).

To see a couple more photos that I took, visit my overflow blog.
Here are two old posts of mine about the parliament.
To see some pretty photos from the architects' website, go to Lee + Mundwiler.
To see movies of the fountains in action (Wasserspiel - water play), visit this Bern website (look in the red box on the right).

20080711

6 comments:

Annie said...

That looks so refreshing on a hot day. I wish we had something like that in our town, we have been frying!

Anonymous said...

Why is it that dogs want to "bit" water? They seem to have a brain explosion when they see a hose or a running tap. I like this chap - so enthusiastic.

Anonymous said...

"bite" water ... not "bit" ... not sure who is having the brain explosion!

claude said...

That reminds me the fountain built in the new side of Salt Lake City for the winter olympics games 2002. Water tall sprays played to the sound of classic music. I took some photos but I have neither the sound nor the movment.

Z said...

AF: Yeah, it's like a magnet!

Julie: Isn't it so? Almost all the dogs I've seen around this fountain have exhibited pretty much the same behavior. They just go nuts!

Claude: Sounds nice! I think similar fountains exist in many places. I like that this space right in front of the Parliament is set up in such a way as to be enjoyed by the public.

Anonymous said...

SO CUTE!!