20080612

Wildflower 11: Trefoil


Lotus corniculatus. Gewöhnerlicher Hornklee. Supposed to be an important source of nectar for many insects and it also serves as good fodder material. I was so delighted by the butterfly that I've uploaded a larger-than-usual photo for this one. If you know what kind it is, please leave a comment with the information. Thanks!

Update: My local insider thinks the butterfly is a Pseudophilotes baton and that seems quite reasonable. Here's a website, in English, about European butterflies with some information and lots more photos.

20080612

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have no idea about names but I call yours "beautiful butterfly." Lovely cheerful flowers too.

Anonymous said...

I'd say it's a Pseudophilotes baton ( http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graublauer_Bl%C3%A4uling ) ... sorry, no english version ;-(

They seem to be quite rare in our region, congratulations for that shot!

Z said...

Thanks Dina and thank you, local insider! If you visit the new link I've put up, you'll see photos taken in Valais.

Ming the Merciless said...

Oh, how pretty!! Perfectly captured.