20070819

Wildflower: Himalayan balsam


Yes, Himalayan. Impatiens glandulifera (Drüsiges Springkraut) is native to the Himalayas. It was brought to Europe in the 1830s (Dresden, Germany in 1837, and Kew Gardens, England in 1939) and soon achieved invasive weed status in many parts of the world. Some other names for the plant are Indian balsam, bee-bums, stinky-pops, policeman's helmet and poor-man's orchid.

Update on the blue car post: A reader identified it as an Amilcar, produced in France during the 1920s. Thank you, Richard (SAN)!

200707 Nikon Coolpix 950

5 comments:

Janet said...

Yet another beauty! I am enjoying these flower posts.

Kate said...

This reminds me a bit of Georgia O'Keeffe paintings.

Lavenderlady said...

I appreciate your excellent photography AND the commentary...I am learning a great deal.

Anonymous said...

I guess I don't have one of those flowers. I really like the color too.

claude said...

Pretty flower ! Pretty colour !